Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Still Laughing

I love my CTR 5 class! Those little five year old kids are such a hoot! I am so grateful the things they teach me. Like Art Linkletter who wrote "Children Say the Darnedest Things," I am going to start compiling my own book of the precious and hilarious things that come out of their mouths.

   During Sharing Time, poor little Faith was bored. She had a very miniature book of scriptures which she thumbed through using her nose. Up and down, up and down, she fanned those pages over the tip of her nose. Suddenly she stopped, sat bolt upright, looked at me with utter astonishment, and whispered, "Teacher! The scriptures smell like bacon!"

   For their lesson on baptism, I took the class on a field trip to the bishop's office. They walked like little cadets through the chapel and to his office, where they no longer acted like cadets. Even so, the bishop, who's so adorable with children, brightened his face and started teaching them about baptism.
      "When you're baptized, your daddies will take you down all the way under the water, and then bring you up again. Do you know why we do this?"
      Faith leaped up and shouted, "So we can breathe!"

 From little Max who loves to take off his shoes and run his fingers through my necklaces, to Christian who loves the number 99 ("I'm having a birthday in 99 days! . . . We're going to the mountains in 99 from now! . . . I have 99 at home!"), to adorable Zhenja who's the prettiest-in-pink girl I've ever seen and has better manners than most adults (including myself), and to little Faith's wit, I've learned more from these little people than I have from years of talks. They have taught me what my Savior meant when he said,

 Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

 (lds.org/scriptures/search)

 

2 comments:

  1. You made me laugh and cry.... How do you do that so quickly? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because she's amazing, ;). Having taught three different 5 and 6-year-old primary classes, I totally know what you mean! Their pure love for Christ and the gospel are so inspiring. They are so excited when they know answers to gospel questions, and even if they don't, they sure try! They never need to know why or how, they just believe. In the middle of class, a couple weeks after learning about the holy ghost, one of my little girls gave a very profound answer to a gospel question and then in total shock and excitement she revealed to me the process she just went through of thinking of what the answer would be and feeling from the spirit what she should say. It was adorable and touching.

    It's neat to teach the 6 six year olds again with my husband. One little boy tells me I look beautiful every week, and Paul gives him a look with a "watch it," which is always followed by silly giggles.

    It can be tough at times, but when you really appreciate the wonder and innocense and simultaneous brilliance of little children, primary is the best experience.

    ReplyDelete