Friday, March 25, 2011

Diamonds in the Dust




It's said that a person can be a diamond in the rough, but I've also found that diamonds can be discovered in everyday dust. The scriptures tell us that:
 
  . . . the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.


Well, it doesn't take long before books begin to smell like dust, and sometimes, between the common paper pages, I find something that catches my eye; that sparkles and sparks something inside me; something that makes me want to shine. (And these are the books I buy, and I call them my book "treasures.")

For me, the gems are nearly always gospel related. Am I a fanatic? No. I'm homesick.  I long for every glimpse of every facet of my Beloved Father, and I find Him in everything around me.

I thought I share yesterday's "find" with you:

"The Heart's Code" --Paul Pearsall

(This nonfiction book asserts the possibility that ". . . the heart thinks and feels, that our cells remember, and that there is a subtle yet very powerful and pervasive form of energy that connects every thing and every person." My take is that this is a generic, scientific approach to the soul, or spirit of man--the part that wasn't formed out of the dust; the part that is the literal son and daughter of God. I find the premise fascinating and worth musing upon. But here a few of the gems I really liked.)

pg. 4, ". . . I have little doubt that the heart is the major energy center of my body and a conveyor of a code that represents my soul."

pg. 25, ". . . The brain seems to want to 'have a blast' while the heart needs to 'have a bond.'"

pg. 30, ". . . By reflecting on the nature of the energy the heart seems to be sending through us and resonating out to other hearts, we can tap the force that bonds us as the created with the Creator."

pg. 35, 36, ". . . The brain tends to consider itself a very powerful and clever controller of other brains and very 'self-effective.' The heart knows 'you can't change people, but you can change how you think about people.'" (The character of Atticus in the book To Kill a Mockingbird embodies this very statement.)

There is a fantastic, scientific take on what he calls the myth of casual sex. It's on page 177-179, and everyone against the wait-until-you're-married discipline should read it. I'd include it here, but I'm afraid I've already included too much--authors ought to be very respectful of other authors' rights.

Please post any diamonds you discover. Everyone who knows me knows how much I love "sparklies" (to quote the raven in The Secret of NIMH).

In an very darkening world, now is the time for every one of us to shine!

1 comment:

  1. What?! You're going to leave us hanging on the myth of sex? We don't have the book to reference that ya know, ;). I really like this guy's insight into the difference between the heart and brain, really interesting. Good find!

    ReplyDelete